New Louisiana Tax Incentives Summary:
- Raises the production tax credit from 25% to 30% indefinitely.
- Lowers the 10% additional Louisiana Labor Payroll Credit to 5% (essentially keeping the Louisiana payroll credit at 35%).
- Clarifies that the additional 5% can be credited for only the first $1 Million paid to an individual LA resident on the production's payroll.
- Gives productions the option of selling their credits back to the state for $.85 on dollar.
- Makes new requirements for a branded Louisiana logo in the credits (but this will still be at the state's discretion)
- Adds language that protects crew and vendors.
- Excludes ALL state and local taxes as qualifying expenditures.
- Eliminates the need fortwo LLC’s. One production LLC will now suffice.
- Puts the application fee at .02% of 30% of the estimated Louisiana spend ($200 minimum/$5000 maximum).
Local Film Incentives - Shreveport/Bossier
2.5% sales tax rebate - based on expenditures within Shreveport's city limits (application process and rules apply)
- Basic Cap - $150,000.00 total to any individual project or production for new productions by a production company which has not previously received any City of Shreveport incentives.
- Subsequent Productions- $165,000.00 for a production company which brings a subsequent production to the City of Shreveport within twelve months of completion of the prior project.
- The funding cap shall be increased by $10,000 for productions which utilize a Caddo Parish-based post production company.
1.5% sales tax rebate - based on expenditures within Caddo Parish (application process and rules apply)
- Basic Cap - $20,000.00 total to any individual project or production for new productions by a production company which has not previously received any Caddo Parish or municipalities lying therein within the last twelve months.
- Subsequent Productions- $22,000.00 for a production company which brings a subsequent production to Caddo parish within twelve months of completion of the prior project.
- The funding cap shall be increased by $1200.00 for productions which utilize a post production company located within Caddo Parish or any of the municipalities lying therein.
- Resolution passed for the Mayor to suspend certain provisions of city ordinances to grant temporary approval for uses of film production
- Permitting: No charge for film and construction permit fees for set builds (Caddo-Bossier Parish)
- Free Locations for most of our city and parish (Shreveport and Bossier) buildings
- Free water for filming special effects - (City of Shreveport city limits) - exception wave tank
- Easy and simple permitting – no permit fees
- Assistance with DOTD permitting
"Shreveport-Bossier offers many looks and can double for a variety of cities. In addition, the crew base is on par with the top crews throughout the country and Canada. I also feel that the local community embraces the film industry, which makes for a very nice working environment."
- Matthew F. Leonetti, A.S.C.
Businesses in the entertainment industry may also qualify for the incentive programs listed below:
Click HERE to print application form (PDF)
Visit www.lafilm.org/incentives to learn how to apply or get more information.
Source: Louisiana Economic Development
Recently Passed Local Incentives May 2009
FILM INDUSTRY INCENTIVES
a. The City of Shreveport offers economic incentives to the film industry in the form of rebates of sales taxes paid on lodging, lease, rental and other production expenditures made in City of Shreveport, including but not limited to sound stage or location leases and post production costs.
b. For the purposes of this resolution,
- The term “film industry” shall mean film and television productions, television commercials, and music videos.
- The term “post production” shall mean work required for creating the final product, including but not limited to editing, sound, audio, music, special effects, and other related activities.
- Incentive Funding Caps:
a. Basic Cap- $150,000.00 total to any individual project or production for new productions by a production company which has not previously received any City of Shreveport incentives, or which has not done a production in Caddo Parish within the last twelve months.
b. Subsequent Productions- $165,000.00 for a production company which brings a subsequent production to Caddo Parish within twelve months of completion of the prior project.
c. The funding cap shall be increased by $10,000 for productions which utilize a Caddo Parish-based post production company.
- Requirements for Rebate:
a. Production must either:
- Have its production office located within Caddo Parish, or
- Utilize a soundstage located within Caddo Parish, and;
c. In order to qualify for the enhanced subsequent production cap, both the original and the subsequent production must meet the criteria listed in 3.a. and 3.b.
a. Productions meeting the above requirements will be eligible for incentive payments equal to the City of Shreveport sales taxes paid on the following expenditures:
- LODGING for cast and crew incurred in the City of Shreveport.
- LEASE OR RENTAL EXPENSES, including all lease or rental expenses for equipment, automobiles, sound stage, location or production offices paid for a site in the City of Shreveport.
- OTHER PRODUCTION AND POST PRODUCTION EXPENSES, including purchases of materials and supplies, related to the production of the project and post production.
c. Payment and eligibility for incentives shall be subject to such reasonable rules and regulations as determined by the City of Shreveport Film Office.
- Application process
a. Upon executing a lease or rental agreement, applicant should contact the City of Shreveport Film Office to begin the prequalification process. Film industry incentives are administered by, and all determinations of eligibility will be made by, the City of Shreveport Film Office.
b. The application shall include all information required by the City of Shreveport Film Office, including but not limited to:
- Total projected budget,
- Estimated total of expenditures eligible for the sales tax rebate,
- Estimated room nights,
- List of vendors and services likely to be utilized.
d. When the production efforts in the City of Shreveport are completed, applicant may apply for payment. Payment must be requested no later than 180 days from the completion of production. Payment will be made after the city has reviewed and, if necessary, audited the expenses in the application.
e. Payment of incentives is subject to funding as follows. The City of Shreveport will appropriate funds for incentive payments in an amount determined by the City Council and adopted in a budget ordinance. The Mayor will be authorized to execute agreements for incentive payments up to the amount of the incentives authorized herein, until all appropriated funds have been expended or encumbered by the execution of agreements. Once funds appropriated in a fiscal year have been expended or encumbered, no further incentive agreements will be executed for that fiscal year, unless additional funds are appropriated for that purpose. In the event an agreement is entered into for a production extending into a future fiscal year, the agreement will include a non-appropriation clause, making incentive payments in future years for that production subject to the appropriation of funds for that purpose.
f. This incentive program applies to expenditures in the City of Shreveport for productions begun after the effective date of these provisions. For the purposes of the enhanced, subsequent cap, the original production may have already begun, but must still be on-going, at the time of the adoption of these provisions.